jueves, febrero 22, 2007

Dos canciones del Renacimiento inglés

In Darkness Let Me Dwell (John Dowland, 1563-1626)

In darkness let me dwell; the ground shall sorrow be,
The roof despair, to bar all cheerful light from me;
The walls of marble black, that moist'ned still shall weep;
My music, hellish jarring sounds, to banish friendly sleep.
Thus, wedded to my woes, and bedded in my tomb,
O let me dying live, till death doth come, till death doth come.

My dainties grief shall be, and tears my poison'd wine,
My sighs the air, through which my panting heart shall pine:
My robes my mind shall suit exceeding blackest night,
My study shall be tragic thoughts, sad fancy to delight.
Pale ghosts and frightful shades shall my acquaintance be:
O thus, my hapless joy, I haste to thee, I haste to thee.

Escuchar aquí.
Recomiendo mucho la versión de The Dowland Project.


Remember Me My Dear
(anónimo, s. XVI)

Remember me my dear,
I humbly you require
For my request that loves you best
With faithful heart entire
My heart shall rest within your breast.
Remember me my dear.

Remember me, alas,
And let all rigour pass
That I may prove in you some love
To my joy and solace.
True love to move I most behove;
Remeber me alas.

Remember me dear heart
That of pains has my part.
Your words unkind sinks in my mind,
And does increase my smart;
Yet shall ye find me true and kind!
Remember me dear heart.

La hermosa versión moderna de Jan Garbarek y el Hilliard Ensemble se puede comprar aquí (mp3) o en Musica Bona (cd).

***

Y un pilón:

Flow, my tears (John Dowland, 1563-1626)
Flow, my tears, fall from your springs!
Exiled for ever, let me mourn;
Where night's black bird her sad infamy sings,
There let me live forlorn.

Down vain lights, shine you no more!
No nights are dark enough for those
That in despair their lost fortunes deplore.
Light doth but shame disclose.

Never may my woes be relieved,
Since pity is fled;
And tears and sighs and groans my weary days
Of all joys have deprived.

From the highest spire of contentment
My fortune is thrown;
And fear and grief and pain for my deserts
Are my hopes, since hope is gone.

Hark! you shadows that in darkness dwell,
Learn to contemn light
Happy, happy they that in hell
Feel not the world's despite.

Escuchar aquí.
La reciente versión moderna de Sting (!) se puede comprar aquí (mp3) o en Musica Bona (cd). (Es, a mi gusto, la mejor de todo el disco).
Recomiendo mucho la versión de The Dowland Project.

No hay comentarios.: